Vineet Aneja - Managing Partner - Clasis Law
|Tel:||+91 11 4213 0000|
|Address:||14th Floor, Dr. Gopal Das Bhawan
28, Barakhamba Road
New Delhi 110 001
India, Capital Markets, Corporate/M&A, Energy & Project Finance, Investment Funds, Private Equity, Regulatory & ComplianceView Law Firm Profile
Vineet heads Clasis Law and shares his time between the Delhi and Mumbai offices. He has extensive experience working with both Indian and foreign companies, as well as with government authorities.
Vineet’s corporate practice includes advising on mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, private equity and investment funds on a full range of corporate clients on general corporate matters and in the areas of capital markets, project finance, regulatory and real estate.
Vineet’s skill set includes a deep transactional understanding as well as significant industry expertise across industries as diverse as manufacturing, media, medical devices, fashion, insurance, technology, telecommunications, infrastructure, hospitality, retail and financial services. Client feedback has highlighted the value his experience adds to both the legal and commercial sides of transactions.
- Carlson Group: Advised the Carlson Group, a leading global hospitality and travel chain, in connection with its proposed joint venture with an Indian developer company for the purposes of setting up hotels across India.
- Maier S. Coop: Advised Maier S. Coop, a renowned European entity engaged in the business of manufacturing automobile components, in connection with its joint venture with Unitech Machines Group in India
- Alpha Maier Private Limited: Advised Alpha Maier Private Limited, an Indian joint venture company engaged in the business of manufacturing automobile components, and its shareholders in connection with the expansion of production capacity of the joint venture company involving amendment of the existing joint venture terms and external commercial borrowing from the foreign shareholder
- Motorola Solutions: Advised Motorola Solutions, a multinational telecommunications software development company, in connection with the intra-group transfer of employees engaged in a certain line of business from one subsidiary to another subsidiary company in India as part of a global business transfer
- Motorola Solutions: Advised Motorola Solutions, a multinational telecommunications software development company, in connection with the transfer of employees engaged by its subsidiary company in India in a certain line of business as part of a business transfer.
- Aircrafts Mortgage: Advised a leading Indian business conglomerate in relation to its proposed loan transactions with a US entity involving mortgage of three aircrafts
- Al Hail Holding LLC: Advised Al Hail Holding LLC in its acquisition of beneficial stake in Transguard Group LLC, an Emirates group company engaged in cash management, facilities management, manpower and outsourcing services.
- JV- Workforce Solutions: Advised a leading provider of workforce solutions based in Australia in connection with its proposed joint venture with a private security solutions provider in India for the purposes of providing permanent recruitment services and contract labour services in relation to Indian nationals.
- Brand Franchising: Advising a leading multinational jewellery brand in relation to its brand licensing arrangements for single brand retail of products in India
- Anglo Eastern: Advised Anglo Eastern Ship Management Group on its acquisition of companies in India, as part of its global merger with Univan Ship Management Group.
- NPCC: Advised National Petroleum Construction Company on two simultaneous transactions involving termination of a joint venture, acquisition of stake from the exiting JV partner and downstream investment by way of acquisition of 80% stake in an engineering company in India
- Advising a foreign company in connection with closure of its business operations and dissolution of Indian subsidiary, including termination of vendor contracts, retrenchment of employees, corporate and labour law compliances and winding up process
- Advising a foreign company in connection with closure of its BPO, retrenchment of employees and dissolution of India subsidiary.
- Advising a subsidiary of an Italian company on internal due diligence to identify compliances issues and legal risks for a foreign company’s Indian subsidiary and advising on compliances with Indian foreign exchange laws, companies law and general day to day advisory
- Profand: Advised Europe based Profand group engaged in sea foods business in connection with its joint venture with an Indian company and setting up of a subsidiary company in India.
- Advising a leading Indian retailer in connection with its joint venture with an international clothing brand in India.
- Advising a leading Middle East retailer in connection with an overseas joint venture for distribution of international fashion brands in Egypt.
- Advised a cargo company in relation to its operation in India including on regulatory aspects.
- Advised a domestic airlines in relation to day to day legal requirements including regulatory, financing, disputes and general corporate commercial matters.
- Advised OT Global Holdings in relation to financing of loans against aircraft security including of DGCA aspects.
- Advised a US gas company in relation to acquisition of gas cylinder manufacturing entity in India.
- Advising a US rental company in relation to franchisees in India for rental of motorcycles.
- Advising an international writing instruments company in relation to its joint venture in India on aspects of corporate and secretarial matters.
- Advising an international insurance broker in relation to its existing joint venture in India including on aspects of increase in shareholding and dealings with the IRDAI
- Advising a Middle East hospital group on corporate governance of its entities and hospitals across various jurisdictions.
- Advised a luxury car manufacturer in relation to agreement for appoint of distributors in India
- Advised Ducati Holding SpA in relation to agreement for appoint of distributors for its motorcycles in India and aspects of pricing.
- Advising a UK based retail chain in relation to setting up a presence in India for the purposes of sourcing of goods from India.
- Inditex S.A JV: Advised Inditex S.A in relation to its joint venture with Trent Limited for setting up single brand retial stores in India under the brand “Zara” and continued to advise the joint venture company on various aspects.
- Promod SAS and Major Brands: The firm acted as the deal advisor to Promod SAS, a french retailer, and Major Brands, an Indian retail major, for their joint venture in India for undertaking single brand retail trading of apparel, footwear, accessories etc. under the “Promod” brand in India.
- Massimo Dutti: Advising the owner of the brand “Massimo Dutti” in relation to its joint venture with an Indian partner for setting up single brand retail stores in India under the brand “Massimo Dutti”
- Sonova – Connect Hearing – Advised Sonova in relation to its joint venture for setting up single brand retail outlets
- Gucci: Advised Gucci in relation to its joint venture with an Indian partner for setting up single brand retail stores in India
- New Cingular Wireless Services Inc.: Advised New Cingular W ireless Services Inc. in the sale of its shares in Idea Cellular Private Limited to Tata Industries Limited and the AV Birla Group pursuant to their right of first refusal.
- Educomp Solutions Limited: Advised the company in relation to their financing package involving External Commercial Borrowing from International Finance Corporation, a French development financial institution.
- OC Oerlikon: Advised the Swiss company engaged in manufacturing of textile machinery across the world, in relation to divestment of its shares/business in four Indian companies as part of a global transaction.
- Alcatel JV: Advised Alcatel in the setting of its joint venture in India with Center for Development for Telematics.
- Alcatel Lucent India- Reliance JV: Advised Alcatel Lucent India in relation to its joint venture with Reliance Communications for setting up a company for managing telecom Networks & subsequent exit from the JV.
- Marriott Group: Advice in relation to operating and managing hotels in India and Nepal, advice in relation to franchising, advice in relation to funding and Key Money and in relation to the Indian transactions pursuant to a global acquisition of corporate apartment business.
- Major Brands: Advised Major Brands, an Indian retail major, in relation to their joint venture with their franchisor Promod in relation to undertaking singe brand retail trading of garments etc. under the “Promod” brand name in India.
- Advised the promoter of a local bank in Iraq in relation to their proposed acquisition of majority stake in the bank
- Advised a leading media conglomerate in relation to the divestment of their overseas direct investment venture in the publishing sector.
- Fibcom: Advised Fibcom Limited in relation to its contracts with Tellabs of Denmark.
- Bharti Infratel Ltd: Advised in relation to setting up of towers.
- Advised Tellabs and other investors in relation to the sale of Fibcom India Limited.
- Alcatel Lucent India – Bharti Airtel JV: Advised Alcatel Lucent India in relation to its joint venture with Bharti Airtel Limited for setting up a company for managing telecom networks and subsequent exit from the JV.
- Tata Industries: Advised Tata Industries Limited on certain issues in relation to their shareholding in Idea Cellular Limited and sale of the same to the Birla Group.
- Assisted O-Zone Networks Private Limited - A telecommunication company holding an Internet Service Provider License, in relation to its regulatory compliances under the Department of Telecommunications guidelines and license agreement as well as the foreign exchange laws of India.
- Gas Authority of India: Advised the Gas Authority of India in relation to its joint venture with NTPC and the lenders for taking over the assets of Dabhol Power Company.
- Gas Authority of India: Advised the Gas Authority of India in relation to its foreign joint venture with a foreign company for the purposes of undertaking gas business.
- Arcelor Mittal Group: Advised Arcelor Distribution S.A.S. in relation to its joint venture with Dhamm Steel Services for setting up steel processing centers in India.
- Arcelor Mittal Group: Advised Arcelor Mittal Stainless in relation to its joint venture with Shivalik Bimetals and others.
- Indian Oil Corporation: Advised IOC in its acquisition of IBP through the process of disinvestments by the Government of India.
- POSCO: Advised POSCO in relation to setting up of its operations in India
- Jagran Prakashan Limited: Advising Jagran, a listed company engaged in the business of publishing “Dainik Jagran” newspaper, in the proposed investment by a leading private equity investor in a promoter owned holding company.
- DLF Limited: Advised DLF Limited in connection with its proposed acquisition of a promoter owned developer company.
- UB Group: Advised the UB Group in its proposed acquisition of another Liquor company in India.
- Trak Services: Advised Trak Services, owners of Mark Pi chain of hotels, in connection with a private equity investment by GIA Holdings.
- Thomson Group: Advised Thomson group, engaged in the content services and animation sector in their proposed joint venture with an Indian listed company in the same sector and subsequently advised on the buyout of the minority shareholders.
- Disinvestment: Advised a foreign bidder on the acquisition of the shareholding of Government of India in Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited.
- Disinvestment: Advised a successful foreign bidder on the acquisition of combined shareholding of Government of India and Indian Hotels Company Ltd. in the company owning the Lodhi Hotel.
- Disinvestment: Advised a foreign bidder on the acquisition of 51% stake of the Government of India in Engineers India Limited.
- Disinvestment: Advised the Government of India in connection with the proposed sale of 51% of its equity shareholding in Manganese Ore (India) Limited to a strategic partner.
- Disinvestment: Advised the Government of India in connection with the proposed sale of 32.74% of its equity shareholding in Madras Fertilizers Limited to a strategic partner.
- Friends Global Travels Limited: Advised Friends Globe Travels in connection with the sale of equity by the promoter to an Australian company.
- ExxonMobil: Advised ExxonMobil Corporation in its exit from India, which included transfer of the LPG business to Total Fina Elf and sale of shares to the Indian partner.
- Contract Research Solutions: Advised Contract Research Solutions in relation to its exit from an existing venture in India engaged in the business of clinical research.
- Lieca Geosystems: Advised Lieca Geosystems in relation to its exit from an existing venture in India and setting up its own business by way of subsidiary.
- Hazira Port – Advised an interested bidder in the acquisition of majority stake in the Hazira Port.
- Ascott Group: Advising the Ascott Group in its proposed acquisition of a company owning serviced apartments.
- BBDO Asia Pacific Ltd.: Advised BBDO Asia in its exit from an Indian joint venture which included transfer of its shareholding to the joint venture partner.
- Fortune Brands: Advised Fortune Brands in connection with the acquisition of facility distilling and bottling the Teachers brand from Pernod Ricard.
- Valtimet SAS: Advised Valtimet SAS (a part of the Vallourec Group) engaged in the business of steel tubes in relation to its acquisition of an Indian manufacturing company
- Temasek Holdings: Advised Temasek in relation to its investments in various Indian companies including Apollo Hospitals Enterprises Limited and a leading construction company. Further advised Temasek and Bank One in relation to investment in a healthcare BPO.
- Ascott Group: Advising the Ascott Group, Singapore in relation to its various projects in India for setting up, managing and operating service apartments.
- Agya Holdings: Advised Agya Holdings in relation to its joint venture with Boortmalt NV for setting up a facility in India for manufacturing and dealing in malts, malt extracts and malt preparation in India.
- Renold Plc M&A: Advised Renold Plc, a leading UK manufacturing company in their acquisition of an industrial chains manufacturing facility as a going concern from L G Balakrishnan & Bros Ltd., an Indian listed company.
- Metalsa: Advised Metalsa of Mexico in relation to the setting up of a facility in India for manufacturing chassis.
- Gresham LLP M&A: Advised Gresham LLP, a private equity fund, in acquisition of shares of the UK based Betts Group and indirect acquisition of shares of an Indian company.
- Maersk: Advised Maersk in relation to its joint venture with the Container Corporation of India for setting up an inland container depot.
- Subros: Advised Subros Limited in relation to its proposed joint venture with a leading Japanese company for setting up a research and development unit in India.
- Moen Inc.: Advised Moen Inc. in relation to its setting up of a manufacturing facility in India.
- MMK Steel: Advised MMK Steel in relation to setting up of its operations in India.
- Europe / India JV - medical devices: Advising a leading European company engaged in the business of hearing instruments in relation to its proposed joint venture with an Indian partner for setting up retail outlets in India.
- Carlyle Group M&A: Advised the Carlyle Group in relation to its acquisition of the engineered products division of Goodyear.
- Alchemy Partners LLP / Ashmore Investments (UK): Advised Alchemy Partners LLP and Ashmore Investments (UK) Limited in relation to setting up of a Mauritius based private equity fund, a Mauritius based fund manager and an Indian advisory company.
- Mediatek M&A: Advised Mediatek Inc. in connection with its acquisition of assets including intellectual property of a group having companies in US, Canada and India.
- Moser Baer India Limited: Advised Moser Baer in its joint venture with Imation Inc. for setting up a company in Dubai for manufacture and distribution of CDs/ DVDs.
- Celerity Ventures Inc.: Advised Celerity Ventures in connection with its proposed investment in a proposed mutual fund company.
- Foreign Investment: Advised various other foreign companies in relation to setting up their business in India including subsidiaries, joint ventures, liason offices, branch offices and project offices.
Professional appointments and activities
- Member of the Bar Council of Delhi
- Member of the Delhi High Court Bar Association
- Member of the Inter-Pacific Bar Association
- Member of the American Bar Association
- Member of the International Law Section of the American Bar Association
- Council Member of the Gerson Lehrman Group
- Regularly writes for various legal journals and speaks at various conferences and events on various aspects of law
- LL. B.
- B.Com (Hons)