July 2018 International Trade Compliance Update.
Legal News & Analysis - Asia Pacific - International Trade
13 July, 2018
Welcome to the July 2018 edition of Baker McKenzie's International Trade Compliance Update.
The highlights of this Update are:
- WTO: Rules of origin facilitator, trade policy reviews, recent disputes regarding US steel and aluminum tariffs, DSB actions, TBT notifications.
- US: Sections 232 and 301 tariff updates, reorganization of some Federal agencies proposed, national emergencies extended (Belarus, N. Korea and Western Balkans), investment restrictions considered, USTR seeks comments on 7 WTO disputes, comment period extended for sec. 232 tariffs for auto products, cultural property import restrictions, CBP issues interim rule on air cargo advance screening, administrative review of EAPA Determinations, CBP instructions on section 301 duties, Craft Beverage Modernization and Tax Reform Act of 2017 implementation, DOE policy on natural gas exports to non-FTA countries, sanctions updates (Sudan, Iran, Magnitsky), revised OFAC rough diamond regulations, NRC seeks comments on draft clarification of export reporting requirements for nuclear facilities, equipment, and non-nuclear materials, new settlement with China’s ZTE to suspend Denial Order, ITA revises and clarifies user fees for export and investment pro-motion services/events, BIS regulatory revisions, sugar TRQs, government procurement rules to address measures against persons involved in activities that violate arms control treaties or agreements with the US, Kaspersky Lab software prohibitions, Commerce scope and anti-circumvention rulings listed.
- China: Response to US tariffs.
- Japan: METI launches e-learning program in the field of security export control for academic and research institutes.
- New Zealand: WTO Information Technology Agreement Tariff Amendment, MPI Biosecurity System Entry Levy, New Health Promotion Agency (HPA) Levy rates and excise rates for Alcohol, compulsory airbag recall now in effect.
- Philippines: Implementation of the EFTA-Philippines FTA in the Philippines.
- Vietnam: Customs control changes under recent government decrees, Vietnam's updated policy on inclusion of new solar power projects in power development plans, new decree on sales promotions is being circulated.
- EU and EFTA: EFTA States sign FTA with Ecuador, updated FTA with Turkey, EU adopts ‘rebalancing measures’ in reaction to US steel and aluminium tariffs – will collect higher tariffs on US goods, EU renews Russia sanctions concerning annexation of Crimea and Sevastopol, EU and Australia launch FTA talks, Commission proposes measures to make tax and customs cooperation between Member States better and more efficient in next long-term EU budget 2021-2027, EU’s tougher trade defence rules takes effect, Commission issues notice regarding customs enforcement of IP rights after Brexit, European Commission formally commences update of the Blocking Statute.
Plus the regular features: WTO TBT notifications, CITES notifications, WCO news, legislative issuances from many countries, CBSA advance rules, CBP ruling revocations and modifications, EU classification regulations, CN explanatory notes amendments; AD/CVD cases from US, Canada, Mexico, EU, Australia, China, India, Argentina and Brazil; section 337 actions.
Please click here for the full report.
For further information, please contact:
Stuart P. Seidel, Baker & McKenzie