China And The Evolving Landscape Of The Global Shipping Industry (Chinese Podcast).
Legal News & Analysis - Asia Pacific - China - Shipping Maritime & Aviation
22 August, 2019
Shanghai partners Vincent Xu and Evangeline Quek were invited by Capital Link as moderators to the panel discussion “China and the Evolving Landscape of the Global Shipping Industry” to discuss the development of Chinese shipbuilding industry with maritime experts Mr. Jiwei Lou (Deputy General Manager of CIMC Shipyard), Mr. Gary Chen (Director of Beijing Insurance and Compensation Association) and Mr. Bill Guo (Executive of ICBC Leasing and Shipping).
Chinese shipyards are building increasingly sophisticated ships, and some of the world’s biggest container and bulk fleets are Chinese-owned.
The discussion covered the following points:
- A reflection on how the Chinese shipping industry has developed and grown over the past decade.
- The advances made in shipbuilding by the Chinese yard’s in the types of ships that now can be built in China – from bulk carriers to cruise ships.
- The role of China and Chinese owners in the global shipping market.
- How ICBC Leasing has become the biggest ship financier in the world.
- China’s role and views on the future of ships, specifically autonomous ships.
- The importance of supporting the environmental goals of the International Maritime Organisation.
Click here to listen to this discussion.
Download the English transcript here.
For further information, please contact:
Evangeline Quek , Partner, Stephenson Harwood