Rajasingam Gothandapani - Partner - Shearn Delamore & Co
|Tel:||+603 2027 2911|
|Address:||7th Floor, Wisma
No.1, Leboh Ampang
50100 Kuala Lumpur,
Shearn Delamore & Co
Malaysia, Dispute Resolution, Energy & Project Finance, Regulatory & Compliance, Shipping Maritime & AviationView Law Firm Profile
- Shipping & Maritime (Head)
- Dispute Resolution
- Regulatory Compliance & Enforcement
- Land Acquisition & Town and Country Planning
- Energy, Natural Resources & Green Technology
- Arbitration and Mediation
Long standing Shipping and Maritime practice encompassing a comprehensive range of contentious and transactional matters that include arrest and release of ships and cargo, maritime transportation and insurance, marine cargo and hull claims, bunker claims, maritime casualty, salvage and collision claims, marine environment and regulatory, ship building and registration, maritime liens & mortgages and maritime litigation and maritime arbitration. Rajasingam has advised a wide range of maritime clients that include ship owners, cargo interests, charterers, financial institutions cum mortgagees, professional and indemnity clubs, shipyards, banks, oil and gas multinationals, port authorities, container terminal operators, freight forwarders and logistic companies.
Rajasingam has wide experience in commercial litigation, defamation, corporate and shareholder litigation, Insolvency litigation, asset and debt recovery, receivership, professional negligence, native and customary claims.
He is also experienced in environmental matters, regulatory compliance, environmental audits, tortious liability issues as well as joint ventures, licensing, operation, management and other associated agreements for Energy, Natural Resources and Green Technology related matters.
In relation to Compulsory Land Acquisition matters, Rajasingam has experience with land reference hearings, judicial reviews and appeals at all level of the Courts under the Land Acquisition Act 1960. For matters linked to Town and Country Planning Legislation & Regulations, he can provide legal support with planning permission or development hearings and appeals to the Appeals Board, judicial reviews at all levels of the Court against grantors on the refusal of development orders and planning permission.
Rajasingam also specialises in native customary rights and law in West Malaysia. He has advised and represented land owners in claims by natives and aboriginal people for native customary rights over alienated lands in West Malaysia.
Rajasingam also advises on anti-money laundering, anti-corruption, breach of trust, and securities legislation as well as prosecution by the Attorney General’s Chambers, Securities Commission and Bursa Malaysia.
- LL.B (Hons, 1st Class), International Islamic University of Malaysia (IIUM)
- LL.M (Hons, 2nd Class Upper) University of Cambridge (UK)
- M.A, University of Cambridge (UK)
- Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb)
- Advocate & Solicitor, High Court of Malaya
- Malaysia (1996)
- Member of the Bar Council’s Shipping and Admiralty Law Committee
- Legal Advisor of the Pure Life Society Malaysia
- Malaysian Bar
- Shipping and Admiralty Law Committee of the Malaysian Bar
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb)
- International Bar Association (IBA)
- London Court of International Arbitration
- Has contributed many articles in the International Law Office’s Legal Newsletter on Shipping and Transport including the following:
- Specialised Admiralty Court in the Making
- Government Reviews National Cabotage Policy
- Arresting Ships in Malaysian Waters to Secure a Claim in Arbitration
- Ownership, Registration, Transfer and Mortgage of Malaysian-Flagged Ships
- Actions In Rem: Practice and Procedure
- Act Amended to Allow Ship Arrest to Secure a Claim in Arbitration
- Proposed Arbitration Act Amendments on Ship Arrest
- Foreign Crew: Recognition of Competency Certificates
- New Admiralty Court Established for Resolution of Admiralty and Maritime Disputes
- Domestic Shipping Licence and Foreign Ship Managers
- Pre-empting Arrest: When Ship Owners Resort to Lodging a Caveat Against Arrest”.
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
- King’s Gold Medalist (Best Law Graduate)
- The Chevening (UK) Scholar
- The Cambridge Commonwealth Trust (UK) Scholar
- Asialaw Leading Lawyers (2015 and 2016) – A “Leading Lawyer” in Dispute Resolution, Energy & Natural Resources
- Asialaw Leading Lawyers 2014 – A “Leading Lawyer” in Shipping, Maritime and Aviation
- Asialaw Leading Lawyers 2017 – A “ Market Leading Lawyer” in Dispute Resolution, Energy & Natural Resources
- Asialaw Profiles (2014 - 2016) - An “Asialaw Recommended Individual” in Shipping
- Chambers Asia Pacific (2010 - 2017) - One of the “Leaders in their Field” in Shipping
- IFLR 1000 (2014 - 2016) - A “Leading Lawyer” in Energy: Project Development and Disputes
- The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2010 - 2017) - a “Recommended Lawyer” in Shipping
- The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2012, 2013, 2015 and 2017) - a “Recommended Lawyer” in Dispute Resolution