- Tax & Revenue
- Personal Data Protection & Privacy Laws
- Private Wealth & Family Business
All aspects of Tax and Revenue law advisory, structuring, planning, audits, investigations, dispute resolution (including advising taxpayers on the settlement of tax cases or in dealings with governmental authorities) and litigation (including tax appeals, declaratory proceedings, judicial review applications, civil suits, windings up etc.), goods and services tax (GST), transfer pricing, income tax, real property gains tax, indirect taxes, stamp duty, taxation of oil and gas companies, tax incentives, trusts, and asset protection and planning. Irene has appeared as counsel for taxpayers before the GST Appeal Tribunal, the Special Commissioners of Income Tax and the Superior Courts of Malaysia.
Irene also practises in the area of Personal Data Protection & Privacy Laws, and provides information and data management strategies and solutions, business practice and process reviews, as well as template and document reviews for business enterprises. She has advised and conducted reviews and audits for various business enterprises, including financial institutions. She has presented many papers on personal data protection law and regularly conducts training and workshops for clients and event organisers.
- LL.B (Hons), University of London
- MBA, University of Warwick
- Certificate in Legal Practice
- Advocate & Solicitor, High Court of Malaya
- Malaysia (1999)
- Malaysian Bar
- Malaysian Bar Council’s Tax Sub-Committee
- International Bar Association (IBA)
- International Fiscal Association and its Malaysian Branch
- One of the authors of Bloomberg BNA's Business Operations in Malaysia
- Contributed to The International Tax Review published by Euromoney Institutional Investor plc.
- Contributed to The Asia Pacific Tax Bulletin published by the International Bureau of Fiscal Documentation in Amsterdam
- Contributed to the Tax Nasional published by the Malaysian Institute of Taxation
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
- International Tax Review Tax Controversy Leaders (2013 – 2017) - Leading Advisor
- International Tax Review (2017) - Indirect Tax Leaders
- International Tax Review Women in Tax Leaders (2015 - 2017) - Leading Advisor
- The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2012 and 2014) - a “Recommended Lawyer” in Tax