Dr. Matt Liu, Partner, Tsar & Tsai Law Firm
|Address:||8th Fl., 245 DunHua S. Rd., Sec. 1
Tsar & Tsai Law Firm
Taiwan, Competition & Antitrust, Construction & Real Estate, Corporate/M&A, Dispute Resolution, FDI, Insurance & Reinsurance, Labour & EmploymentView Law Firm Profile
Dr. Matt Liu is a partner with Tsar & Tsai Law Firm and has been practicing law since 1997. He specializes in antitrust, mergers and acquisitions, corporate, insurance and reinsurance, labor and employment, cross-border transactions, foreign investment, personal data protection, finance, infrastructure, and dispute resolution.
Drawing on his experience serving as an officer of the Taiwan Fair Trade Commission (“TFTC”) before joining Tsar & Tsai, Dr. Liu has advised clients across a wide range of industry sectors on abuse of dominance, merger control, cartel, unfair competition, and false advertising issues. He has successfully represented clients from various industries to obtain merger clearance in Taiwan. He has also successfully represented clients in filing complaints with and defending them before the TFTC. Further, he has advised many clients in applying for immunity/leniency and responding to cartel investigations in Taiwan and foreign jurisdictions. He frequently gives antitrust speeches and compliance trainings to companies in Taiwan. He is now a non-governmental advisor of the International Competition Network (“ICN”) and is frequently invited to participate in ICN conferences. He is selected by Global Competition Review to be included in the inaugural edition of “Who’s Who Legal: Competition – Future Leaders 2017.”
Dr. Liu has extensive experience in representing many multinational and local companies in their mergers & acquisitions in Taiwan. His experiences in this area includes conducting legal due diligence, drafting and negotiating transaction agreements, advising on the deal structure, merger control, tax, environmental and employment issues, and obtaining the necessary regulatory approvals and permits. He represented HSBC in its general assumption of the assets, liabilities and business of the Chinese Bank. This deal won the award of “Winning Deals of the Year 2008” by Asian-Counsel and enabled Tsar & Tsai win the award of “Taiwan Deal Firm of the Year 2008” by Asian Legal Business. Also, he advised On Semiconductor in its acquisition of all the shares in Sanyo Semiconductor and other semiconductor assets of Sanyo Electric. This deal won an honorable mention in Asian Counsel’s Deals of the Year 2010.
Dr. Liu has profound experience in insurance and reinsurance areas, including assisting many foreign insurance and reinsurance companies to establish their Taiwan branches and advising them on their mergers and acquisitions in Taiwan, regulatory compliance issues and insurance/reinsurance contract review. He has assisted members of Amcham Insurance Committee to draft annual policy white papers and participated in their lobby efforts.
Dr. Liu has represented many multinational and domestic clients in negotiation, settlement, mediation, litigation and arbitration of commercial, labor, and construction disputes.
Dr. Liu has been a frequent speaker to many Taiwan-listed companies on extensive corporate governance issues, such as duties and responsibilities of directors and supervisors, insider trading, corporate governance of business groups, business risk management and corporate governance, and corporate governance and intellectual property.
- Admitted to practice in Taiwan
- Taiwan Patent Agent
- National Taiwan University School of Law (LL.B. 1994)
- University of Wisconsin Law School (MLI 1999; S.J.D. 2001)
- Committee Member, Competition Law Committee, Taipei Bar Association
- Non-governmental Advisor, International Competition Network
- Director, Healthcare Industry Development Association Across The Straight
- Member, Institute for Biotechnology and Medicine Industry
- Member and Lecturer, Taiwan Corporate Governance Association
- Vice President, Chunghwa Negotiation Management Society
- Member, American Chamber of Commerce in Taipei
- Taiwan Chapter, Global Antitrust Compliance Handbook, published by Oxford University Press
- World Class Actions – Taiwan Chapter, co-authored with CY Huang and Jocelyn Kellam, published by Oxford University Press (USA Law Division)
- Taiwan Chapter, Product Liability in the Asia-Pacific, published by the Federation Press
- Mediation with a Government Entity, co-authored with Edgar Chen, collected in Mediation Techniques Book published by International Bar Association
- Product Liability Law - Taiwan Chapter, Product Liability in the Asia-Pacific (3rd edition), published by the Federation Press
- Taiwan Money Laundering Law, published by Complinet
- Bankable or Turndown? Reform of the Build-Operate-Transfer (BOT) Legal Framework in Taiwan (S.J.D. dissertation)
- Panelist, “Cartel Enforcement: Dealing with Investigations”, Asialaw Asia-Pacific In-house Counsel Summit (2014).
- Panelist, “Cooperation in the Context of Leniency”, International Competition Network 12th Annual Conference (2013).
- Panelist, ‘Private Participation in Infrastructure in Taiwan”, 57th International Congress of UIA (2013).
- Panelist, “Navigating the Globe: Cartel Enforcement Around the World-Taiwan”, American Bar Association (2012).
- Speaker, “Due Diligence in Taiwan”, joint seminar with Thomas Reuters and World-Check (2012).
- Panelist, “How to Expand Business for Antitrust Lawyers” and “Abuse of Dominance in Asia”, Asian Competition Law Forum (2011).
Mandarin Chinese, English