Anand Raj - Partner - Shearn Delamore & Co
|Tel:||+603 2027 2828|
|Address:||7th Floor, Wisma
No.1, Leboh Ampang
50100 Kuala Lumpur,
Shearn Delamore & Co
Malaysia, Competition & Antitrust, TaxView Law Firm Profile
- Competition Law & Antitrust (Co-Head)
- Tax & Revenue
- English, Malay
Anand regularly represents and advises MNCs, GLCs, foreign and Malaysian enterprises on Competition Law in industries as diverse as financial services, telecommunications and multimedia, pharmaceuticals, insurance, logistics, hospitality, FMCG, manufacturing and the automotive sector, amongst others. He is actively engaged in conducting competition law audit and review exercises for clients and in reviewing documentation, practices, compliance and risk levels. Anand’s competition clients come from sectors as diverse as consumer goods and services, financial services, oil and gas, pharmaceuticals, telecommunications and manufacturing and distribution. Much of the work for these clients has been general compliance work and investigation defence work. Anand regularly conducts trainings and workshops for clients and event organisers and is also active in providing feedback to the relevant authorities and agencies on issues relating to Competition Law in Malaysia. Anand has successfully handled several competition law investigations resulting in closures without findings of infringement including for Giga Shipping and Nexus Mega Carriers, amongst others. Anand has been recognized as an “Expert” in the Who’s Who of Competition Lawyers from 2013 to 2017.
Anand has vast experience in corporate and investment work and has extensive experience in all aspects of tax and revenue law advisory, structuring, planning, litigation, transfer pricing, audit and investigation work. Anand regularly appears as Counsel for taxpayers before the Special Commissioners and the superior courts of Malaysia and many of his cases have been reported and are landmarks in Malaysian tax law.
Anand has acted in numerous leading tax cases, including for the Malaysian Bar, Castrol (Aspac Lubricants), MUI, ExxonMobil, Multi-Purpose Holdings Berhad, Seabanc Kredit, Paramount (M) (1963) Sdn Bhd, Bandar Utama City Corporation, SGS Singapore, Wincor Nixdorf, Petronas Penapisan, AIACL, SUEP Properties Berhad, Shell Refining, United Malacca Berhad and many others. In 2017, Anand was named Asia Tax Litigation and Disputes Practice Leader of the Year by the International Tax Review and has been recognized as a Tax Controversy Practice Leader by the International Tax Review from 2013 through to 2017. He has also been recognized as an “Expert” in the Who’s Who of Corporate Tax Lawyers in 2016 and 2017.
- LL.B (Hons), University of London
- Certificate in Legal Practice
- Advocate & Solicitor, High Court of Malaya
- Malaysia (1996)
- Incoming co-chair of the IPBA competition law committee
- Malaysian Bar
- International member of the American Bar Association (ABA)
- Chair of the International Fiscal Association (IFA) Malaysian Branch
- Chair of the Tax Sub-Committee of the Malaysian Bar Council
- Member of the Competition Law Sub-Committee of the Malaysian Bar Council
- International Bar Association (IBA)
- Inter-Pacific Bar Association (IPBA)
- Former Chairperson of the American Malaysian Chamber of Commerce (AMCHAM)’s Tax Committee
- Rapporteur for Malaysia - International Bar Association (IBA) Antitrust Committee
Anand is one of the authors of Bloomberg BNA's Business Operations in Malaysia. He has also contributed to various domestic and international tax and accounting journals such as:
- Tax Nasional published by the Malaysian Institute of Taxation
- Akauntan Nasional (now known as Accountants Today) published by the Malaysian Institute of Accountants
- The Asia Pacific Tax Bulletin published by the International Bureau of Fiscal Documentation in Amsterdam
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
- International Tax Review (2017) – Asia Tax Litigation and Disputes Practice Leader of the Year
- International Tax Review (2013 - 2017) – Tax Controversy Leader
- Asialaw Leading Lawyers (2015 - 2017) – a “Leading Lawyer” in Competition & Antitrust
- Asialaw Leading Lawyers (recognized from 2001 - 2017) – including as a “Leading Lawyer” in Taxation in 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017.
- Asialaw Leading Lawyers (2017) – a “ Market Leading Lawyer” in Tax
- Asialaw Profiles (recognized from 2007 - 2016) – including as an “Asialaw Recommended Individual” in Tax in 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016.
- Chambers Asia Pacific (recognized from 2009 - 2018) – including as one of the “Leaders in their Field” in Tax
- Chambers Asia Pacific (2015 - 2018) – one of the “Leaders in their Field” in Competition / Antitrust
- The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (recognized from 2005 - 2018) – including as a “Recommended Lawyer” in Tax in 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016,2017 and 2018.
- Who’s Who Legal (2013 - 2017) – an “Expert” in Competition
- Who’s Who Legal (2016 and 2017) – an “Expert” in Corporate Tax
- Numerous other recognitions since 2003